Sunday, July 12, 2009

Literacy Night in Estacada

PRESENTATIONS
As the 2009 Oregon Mother of the Year I am offering free presentations on the following topics:
Early Childhood Brain Development

How to Choose Quality Children's Books

Preparing Children for School

Helping Early Beginning Readers

To schedule a presetation call me at 503-504-9870



LITERACY NIGHT IN ESTACADA




On Thursday, March 19 I gave a presentation in Estacada at Clackamas River Elementary School at their LIteracy Night, 2009. I spoke on How to Choose Quality Books for Primary Students. I love children's literature and am always excited to share some of my favorite books and discuss this topic.


Some quotes to reflect upon:


You may have tangible wealth untold


Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.


Richer than I you can never be--


I had a Mother who read to me.


The Reading Mother By Stickland Gililan


* * *


WHY READ ALOUD TO YOUR CHILD


". . .early experiences help to determine brain structure, thus shaping the way people learn, think, and behave for the rest of theri lives. It may seem that very young children can't take in what you're saying, but in important ways they do. Infants don't yet grasp the meaning of words, but it is through these early "conversations" that language capacity grows. When babies hear you say words over and over, the parts of the brain that handle speech and language develop. the more language they hear in these conversations, the more those parts of the brain will grow and develop. Talking, singing, and reading to your child is not only important for brain development, but a wonderful opportunity for closeness with your child."


The First Years Last Forever 1998

No comments: